Sunday, February 5, 2012

God is in the Mountain


Recently I was in New York and visited the Jewish Museum. 
 It is well worth stopping by:  wonderful art and exhibits, 
a great neighborhood around Madison and 92nd Street,
 Central Park, The Park Avenue Synagogue with a bas-relief sculpture
 dedicated to the memory of the million Jewish children killed in the Holocaust,
great shopping and 
cafes, (Little Brown, Yura on Madison, Dean and Deluca).
  
 I went to see the Ezra Jack Keats exhibit - celebrating the 50th Anniversary of
  The Snowy Day. 
This beautiful, sweet book has been one of my favorites. 



I love Peter's fresh tracks in the snow.

Keats’s experience of antisemitism and poverty in his youth gave him a lifelong sympathy for others who suffered prejudice and want. “If,” he once remarked, “we all could really see each other exactly as the other is, this would be a different world.” A visit to Keats’s neighborhood is restorative: Peter and his friends remind us of the simple joy of being alive.

Inspired by Asian art and haiku poetry, Keats used lush color in his paintings and collages and strove for simplicity in his texts. He was often more intent on capturing a mood rather than developing a plot.



While visiting the exhibit I became acquainted with the little treasure,
 God is in the Mountain.

A few of my favorite lines:

I am in every religion as a thread through a string of pearls.
Hinduism

The Heavens declare the glory of God...
Judaism

...If I am not for myself, who will be for me?
And If I am only for myself, what am I?
And if not now, when?
Judaism

Do ye not seek a light,
ye who are surrounded by darkness?
Buddhism

God is in the water, God is in the dry land,
 God is in the heart, God is in the forest,
God is in the mountain, 
God is in the cave.
Sikism

...if two make peace with each other in this one house,
they shall say to the mountain:
"Be moved," and it shall be moved.
Christianity





No comments:

Post a Comment