Saturday, August 10, 2013

WAY TO BEE




Since the early days of my marriage, honeybees have been a part of our lives; their example of hard work and industry have been our family symbol and motto -
Work Hard and Do Your Best  


Bees have inspired many sayings: 

 MAKE A BEE-LINE,
THE BIRDS AND THE BEES, 
NONE OF YOUR BEESWAX,
A BEE IN YOUR BONNET
SPELLING BEE,
 QUEEN BEE,
 and of course,
 BUSY BEE.

Bees are famous for being industrious, and the comparison of busy people to bees goes back to at least the 16th century.  In 1715, English poet Isaac Watts used the phrase in a moral poem advising against idleness and mischief-

How doth the little busy bee
Improve each shining hour,
And gather honey all the day
From every opening flower!

My grandchildren call me BB (Becky Burbidge) and I love that sweet name and hope it also signifies a busy bee, bee-lining with purpose and sweetness.  

As I look out my window each day I see our beehives and the bees frantically flying around, storing honey for the winter.
Next month, we will harvest some of the honey and leave plenty for the hive to survive the long, cold months ahead.  It has been our tradition for over thirty years to give our honey as neighbor gifts at Christmas.  Our children have continued this tradition in their own families and some even have hives in their gardens. 

Last week our sweet little Brintons set up a "honey stand". Their DayBreak Honey is spectacular! 



As my personal "hive" is now empty, I've struggled a bit to find sweetness, joy and purpose -  to fill my time with worthwhile work as my days in this life are certainly approaching the end of summer.  Today while on a walk, I came up with a personal list to fill each remaining day with sunshine and happiness.

Pray and Listen
Exercise
Family - Keep in Touch
Garden
Scripture Study and Ponder
Spanish Study
Piano Practice
Home Keeping
Grand Mothering
Service - Reach Out
Be a Friend
Blog
Temple
Magnify my Calling
Read/Study/Learn Something New
Organize
Cook-Try Something New
Plan and Dream
Travel and Explore

As I made my list, dear President Hinckley's book, 
Way to Be!,
came to mind.  
His "Bees" are certainly a template for happiness and joy - and so I add to my list:

Be Grateful
Be Smart
Be Involved
Be Clean
Be True
Be Positive
Be Humble
Be Still
Be Prayerful

"The years will inevitably pass, and pass quickly.  Today is your day of resolution.  Promise yourself to make something good of the precious life that God has given you."
President Gordon B. Hinckley

A perfect Way to Bee!

   








No comments:

Post a Comment