Thursday, August 25, 2011

A True OUTLIER

My favorite read this summer was Outliers, The Story of Success, written by Malcolm Gladwell.  Simply stated, it is a book about men and women whose experiences are not ordinary.  They seize opportunities and through vision, hard work and perseverance, accomplish great things.  I love the idea that intellect is valuable but that hard work plays a more important role for those whose accomplishments are extraordinary.

Yesterday it was announced that Steve Jobs was stepping down as CEO of Apple. I admire his accomplishments. He really has "changed the world" by simplifying our computer experiences, especially for "technicapped" people like me. 

This is what he said about simplicity:

"That's been one of my mantras - focus and simplicity.  Simple can be harder than complex; you have to work hard to get your thinking clean, to make it simple.  But it's worth it in the end because once you get there you can move mountains."

Tomorrow my son leaves for college.  He is still figuring out what will be his life's work.  He wants to discover a field he enjoys, gain the knowledge and skills necessary to make a difference, a unique contribution.  I love Steve Jobs' outlook on meaningful work.

"Your work is going to fill a large part of your life and the only way to be satisfied is to do what you believe is great work.  And the only way to do great work is to love what you do.  If you haven't found it yet, keep looking.  Don't settle.  As with all matters of the heart, you'll know when you find it.  And, like any great relationship, it just gets better and better as the years roll on.  So keep looking until you find it.  Don't settle." 

Just one more favorite:  "Being the richest man in the cemetery doesn't matter to me.  Going to bed at night saying we've done something wonderful...that's what matters."

I wish Steve Jobs well and honor his work.  I send my son off to school; I know he will work hard, find his place and do wonderful things. Move mountains.  Steve and David -Godspeed. 

1 comment: