Thursday, January 24, 2013

Imperfect






No human face is exactly the same in its lines on each side, no leaf perfect in its lobes, no branch in its symmetry. All admit irregularity as they imply change; and to banish imperfection is to destroy expression, to check exertion, to paralyze vitality. All things are literally better, lovelier, and more beloved for the imperfections which have been divinely appointed, that the law of human life may be Effort, and the law of human judgment, Mercy.”
-John Ruskin

One of the best books I read in 2012 was "The Happiness Project", written by Gretchen Rubin. Imperfection has been an obstacle to my happiness for most of my life. I've finally learned to accept imperfection and have come to realize it is the pathway to compassion and mercy and provides me with impetus for greater effort.

Today Holly, Francie and I enjoyed the Matisse Exhibit at the Metropolitan Museum of Art. Beautiful imperfection!


No comments:

Post a Comment