Sunday, December 13, 2015

Our Finest Friend

I am grateful for the Christmas Season, a time of celebration, of joy, of service, of really contemplating the role Jesus Christ plays in our individual lives.  

When our son was a small boy, we were given a print of the resurrected Christ.  It is beautiful and Christ is coming forth with glory in the clouds - concourses of angels surround Him.  I asked our little son about the painting and he replied, “That is Jesus and all Him friends.”   

Throughout the years I’ve thought a lot about my little boy’s pure sweet testimony of our Savior.  I’ve asked myself,  “how can I become His friend – how I can show my love for Him – how can I  feel His Holy Spirit and recognize His hand leading and guiding me as I journey through this life? 

When our son was serving his mission, he wrote a letter titled – A Friend of Jesus:  
"With friendship and the impact of service on my mind, I have been asking the Lord if I am doing this right.  My answer came in
DC 84:77  And again I say unto you, my friends, for from henceforth I shall call you friends.  It is expedient that I give unto you this commandment, that ye become even as my friends….The greatest friend I have made on my mission has been the Lord.  When no one else understands he does.  He has truly been beside me preaching His gospel and truly what greater friend can we gain in this life?"

I love the holiday movie, Mr. Kruger’s Christmas –: in the final scene, the lonely widower is talking to the Savior: 
"Hello there.  I’m Willy Krueger and I’m the custodian over at the Beck Apartments, but you know that don’t you.  You know that. Thank you for everything you’ve done for me.  As long as I can remember you’ve been right by my side.  I’ll never forget when you walked with me right in those first few hours, after I lost Martha.  I’ve always been able to count on you, when I felt dark inside – You were right there.  Every time,.  Even when I didn’t feel good about myself, I knew that you cared for me and that made me feel better.  I love you.  You are my closest, my finest friend.  And that means that I can hold my head high, wherever I go.  Thank you thank you thank you."

Several years ago at our Christmas Eve celebration, our son-in-law David Brinton related his experience visiting the Shepherd’s Fields in Bethlehem. He imagined himself singing with the Heavenly Choir the night the Savior was born.  He bore his testimony that he feels we were all there with that Heavenly Host singing with joy at the arrival of the Little King.  

Brian Kershiznik, a Utah artist, painted a life-sized Nativity.  What I love about it are all the Heavenly Angels surrounding the little Holy Family.  We have a copy of it in our home and we can see our own faces among the choir of angels.  


"For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given; and the government shall be upon his shoulder; and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counseller, the mighty God, the everlasting Father.  The Prince of Peace." Isaiah 9:6

Yesterday, I walked through Temple Square.  It was beautiful, with a light skiff of snow – it was peaceful and quiet and I was alone listening to the Nativity narration from Luke 2.  I especially loved the verses concerning the shepherds:

“And there were in the same country shepherds abiding in the field, keeping watch over their flock by night…
And lo, the angel of the Lord came upon them, and the glory of the Lord shone round about them, and they were sore afraid.

“And the angel said unto them, Fear not; for behold, I bring you tidings of great joy, which shall be to all people;
For unto you is born this day in the city of David, a Savior which is Christ the Lord. 

“And this shall be a sign unto you; Ye shall find the babe wrapped in swaddling clothes, lying in a manger.
Luke 2:12 

The angel told the shepherds where to find the Savior.  We too have been told where to find him and how to make him our friend. 

President Monson closes the nativity narration and admonishes all to seek out the lonely and discouraged, lift others, gather with our families, pray for peace and serve and do the work of the Lord. 

So how can I find Him – how can I become His Friend?
A few suggestions:

Christmas is a time for giving.  Someone once said he couldn’t think of what to give for Christmas.  I often encounter the same dilemma.  The next day in the mail he received an anonymous list which read:

Give to your enemy forgiveness,
To your opponent tolerance
To your friend your heart,
To all men charity, for the hands that help are holier than lips that pray.
To every child a good example, and to yourself, respect.

I love this poem by Christina Rossetti:

What can I give Him,
Poor as I am?
If I were a shepherd
I would give Him a lamb,
If I were a Wise Man,
I would do my part,
But what I can I give Him?

I give my heart. 

This Christmas, mend a quarrel.  Seek out a forgotten friend.  
Write a letter.  Give a soft answer.  Keep a promise.  Forgo a grudge.  Forgive an enemy or someone close to you who has let you down.  Apologize.  Try to understand.  Examine your demands on others.  Think first of someone else.  Be kind.  Be gentle.  Laugh a little more.  Express your gratitude.  Welcome a stranger.  Gladden the heart of a child.  Take pleasure in the beauty and wonder of the earth.  Speak your love and then speak it again.  

Several weeks ago I had the privilege of attending a Temple Devotional held in the Solemn Assembly Room.  Elder Cook spoke and told us that the Twelve have been hesitant to share sacred experiences.  However, they feel that sometimes they must boldly share their testimonies of Jesus Christ.  He then said something I will never forget.  He said, “I want you to know that I know the Savior’s face and I know His voice.”   

I am so very grateful for the birth of our Savior Jesus Christ. He has blessed me, guided me, comforted me and given His life for me.  I love Him.   He is our finest friend.  

In the name of Jesus Christ 

3 comments: