Saturday, October 8, 2011

Oh Delicious Autumn!






Oh Delicious Autumn!
My very soul is wedded to it,
and if I were a bird
I would fly about the earth 
Seeking the successive Autumns.
George Eliot - Middlemarch






I love autumn and was not ready to see snow in the mountains this week.  Frost hasn't come to my garden yet - we are still enjoying tomatoes, basil, corn, concord grapes and apples.  Nights are cool and crisp and cozy.  I love the garden now, the heat is gone; roses are blooming one last time.  It's almost time to plant bulbs and put the garden to bed for the winter - but for now - I savor.


Red Apple - Black Grape Salad
(My Autumn Favorite)
1 pomegranate, seeded (optional)
Concord or Black Grapes
1 red onion, thinly sliced rings
12 cup crumbled blue cheese
4 apples (pears are also good)
Zest of 2 oranges
Red Leaf Lettuce and/or Spinach


Dressing:  
3/4 cup balsamic vinegar
12 cup olive oil
6 Tablespoons brown sugar
Salt and Pepper to taste
In a small saucepan, blend dressing ingredients, stir over medium heat until sugar dissolves.


Sugared Pecans
2 cups pecan halves
1/4 cup brown sugar,
1/4 cup melted butter
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
Preheat oven to 350.  Line cookie sheet with parchment.  Mix all ingredients and spread on pan in one layer.  Bake 10 minutes until lightly toasted.  Cool.


Toss, lettuce, dressing, apples, grapes, cheese, onion, and pecans with dressing.  Top with orange zest.   



No comments:

Post a Comment