Thursday, September 1, 2011

LIFE - A Gift


My brother, William Eric Boren, has struggled with health challenges for years.  Last January there came a day he could not get out of bed.  After he was admitted to the University Hospital, a doctor asked about his level of activity.  When Bill explained that until two weeks before he had gone to work each day, the doctor exclaimed, "that is so impressive."  It was recommended Bill receive an LVAD Heart Pump.  It was an agonizing decision.  If Bill chose not to have the surgery, he had weeks to live.  However, in his weakened condition, the surgery was very high-risk.  Bill is a young fifty-four years and the father of four wonderful children.  He wanted so much to live.

Dr. Robert Jarvik flew to Salt Lake City the night before Bill's surgery.  He entered the room, knelt beside my brother's bed, took his hand, explained the surgery, answered questions and gave us hope.  I've never witnessed such an act of compassion.  Dr. Jarvik is world-renown, but knelt respectfully, held Bill's hand and smiled for photos.  At that moment, I felt peace; he was in great hands.  I also knew  whatever happened would be the Lord's will.

There were many days we didn't think Bill would make it; but he is such a fighter. He battled back from kidney and liver failure and other serious complications.  After more than six months, Bill was finally released from the hospital. I'm grateful for the teams of doctors and health professionals at the University of Utah Hospital who also fought for Bill and gave their very best efforts. I know he was blessed and that our Savior was by his side.  He was granted a miracle.

I'm amazed by Bill's example; he fought so hard to stay -  he truly loves this life.  He inspires me and I have become much more grateful for each new day.

No comments:

Post a Comment