Sunday, December 18, 2011

They Were Married and Given in Marriage


December 18, 2010

Sweet little Anne Elizabeth is my fifth daughter.  When she arrived, so many people said to me, "Oh no, another girl!" or "too bad you didn't get a boy".  They didn't realize how happy I was to welcome this new little angel.  I can say without a doubt, I was blessed to know, before she was born, I would give birth to my fifth daughter.  She had waited to come to our family.  When I held her for the first time, she looked at me and I looked at her and knew we were meant to share this mortal journey.

Anne has been a great blessing in my life.  she is beautiful, very strong and athletic but at the same time, loves being a girl.  Anne is truly a "Burbidge" and very much like her father.  She is great fun, witty and loves a good laugh.  She is friendly and confident.  Anne was blessed with a keen intellect and has excelled in her studies and career.  She has great depth and strength of character.  She has a kind and tender heart.  She has great faith.

One summer, I believe it was 2001, we were on a road trip.  We had visited Camille and Dave in New York City and were traveling to visit Melissa in Washington D.C.  We were reading The Hobbit together to pass the time.  It was such a magical day.  the sun was shining we were so happy and enjoying the beautiful drive.  Suddenly, Annie, David and I looked out the window and in an open meadow, saw a beautiful white unicorn.  Then or now, no one believes us, but there it was...MAGIC!   Ever since, we've had a special bond, we three.  We know there is magic - miracles all around for those with eyes to see and hearts to receive.

Annie and I have traveled many roads together.  We have walked the Inca Trail, the streets of London and Paris, the Beach of Kaanapali.  We've hiked Mt. Olympus, West Canyon and to our favorite waterfall through the bamboo forest.  We have welcomed glorious New Years, watching the sun rise in all majesty at Haleakala and Diamond Head.  We've slalomed pure glass in Padre Bay.  We've skied many mountains, making fresh tracks in the snow.  We've walked together in sun and shadow, calm and storm.  We've seen a unicorn!  We've known magic, we have experienced miracles.

I love the poem, The Road not Taken, by Robert Frost:

Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,
And sorry I could not travel both.
And be one traveler, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could
To where it bent in the undergrowth;

Then took the other, as just as fair,
And having perhaps the better claim,
Because it was grassy and wanted wear;
Though as for that, the passing there
Had worn them really about the same,

And both that morning equally lay
In leaves no step had trodden black.
Oh, I kept the first for another day!
Yet knowing how way leads on to way,
I doubted if I should ever come back.

I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I-
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

I honor Anne tonight for the roads she has chosen which have lead her to Jimmy.  She chose well.  Tomorrow they will walk together into The House of the Lord, to be sealed for time and all eternity.  The Lord has been with Anne and with me along our journey, richly blessing, guiding and comforting us.  I am so very grateful.

Annie and Jimmy -- now it is your turn to walk together.  Walk side by side and make your own "fresh tracks", your very own magic.

It truly is a Wonderful Life.
Love You So Very Much,
Mom


HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!

And they were married,
and given in marriage,
and were blessed
 according to the multitude of the promises 
which the Lord had made unto them.
4 Nephi 1:11



No comments:

Post a Comment